Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tweak Your Slides, the workshop

Well, after a productive morning of grading, coffee seeking, and lake walking, I hunkered down and got back to work on the slides for my upcoming short presentation on visual design. I chose to use examples of my old slides as the representations of what NOT to do. I of course had an incredible bounty of amazingly BAD slide shows to choose from. It's a miracle my students didn't show up one day with pitchforks and torches clamoring for my head as a response to the crime of mass murder--I LOVED bullets. Sweet, sweet bullets, so easy to add to a slide, so completely irresistible in their "professional necessity". It's no wonder my first rule is do not use bullets.

Kill the Beast!


Some feedback on this would be super duper duper appreciated. Anyone who does respond gets some of these:


Tweak Your Slides, the workshop:

5 comments:

  1. I thought it was gorgeous. Well thought out. Amazing ideas about not letting the visuals become secondary and giving room to breathe. It was good information from a graphic designer's standpoint as well. When you decide it's your FINAL FINAL I want a copy for my elementary ed teachers.

    On "Do use contrast to increase understandin... g" the g is shifted down. Any reason?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is slide 16 blank for a reason or is it my computer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, but the white slides with the do's and don't feel like they're missing something. Why not use images on those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure why I thought I'd explained the white slides in the post...I am on PCP, though, so it happens...the new draft will leave those out. The animation slide will not make sense until I save the slides as an .mov and upload it to YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Chiara, The Kitchen Queen! I have so much to learn from you. I have some pretty decent slides, but wow! Now, I understand why my students design such beautiful sideshows for my class. I'm glad they have you first. Your expertise is highly regarded and much needed. :)

    ReplyDelete